Sunday, December 23, 2007

Review: "Charlie Wilson's War" ***** (5 out of 5)


They moved up the release date for "Charlie Wilson's War" so the Wickre family went today, rather than Christmas Day, and did we get an early Christmas Gift! It is a wonderful movie. It's funny, informative and moving all at the same time. Our daughter, in 2005, gave me the book autographed by both the author, George Crile, and by former Congressman Charlie Wilson. She has met the former congressman on several occasions. I could not put down the book and it's one of my all time favorites. Whenever a movie is made out of a book, you love, there is always the danger the movie will not capture the magic of the book. Not this time! The movie has captured the book's magic. Of course, there is much more in the book but the movie found the same spirit and is true to it. Run, don't walk to your nearest movie house and see this movie. People who know both Charlie Wilson and the other characters feel the movie has done them justice.One of my fears was that the "Liberal" folks who made this movie would insert their own bias. I didn't see it, if it is there. This movie is a TRUE story and I loved it. When they are shooting down Soviet helicopter in the movie I wanted to cheer. The movie shows how bigger than life folks can overcome the bureaucracy of Congress and the CIA to do great deeds. It seems like people from Texas aren't afraid to attempt bold acts that the more timid are afraid to attempt. I some times wish I had been born and grew up in Texas. I will get this movie on DVD as soon as it is released. I hope there is a "Directors Cut" with expanded and deleted scenes. I may go to this movie again before it moves to DVD. It gets my vote for "Best Picture."