Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas and John Ford


We had a nice Christmas at the Wickre home and it was even a "White Christmas". Late Christmas Day it started snowing and it stuck and it was "White" all over on the drive to work this morning. As I type this I see the snow coming down outside my office window. We have the "kids" home for Christmas. On Christmas Eve my mother- in-law, brother-in-law and my sister joined us for dinner and we, in the Wickre tradition, opened most of our gifts around the tree. Santa still came Christmas morning for the "kids" and we went to see the new movie "National Treasure: Book of Secrets" with Nicolas Cage at Medford's Tinseltown. It was a fun movie filmed at historical locations in London, Paris, Washington DC and Mount Rushmore. It was fun seeing places we have been and no movie can be bad that is, in part, filmed at Mount Rushmore in South Dakota. My big present from my wife was the large DVD set called "Ford at Fox" a set of 21 DVD's with 24 movies Directed by John Ford for Fox Studios. Some of them are silent films he did in the 1920's all the way up to his classics such as "How Green is My Valley" and "My Darling Clementine." The set included a Documentary on John Ford and a large coffee table like book on the man and his movies. A must for John Ford buffs. Last night I watched the Documentary. My wife,the kids and I also made a "Pact" on where and how we will celebrate Christmas next year. Two years ago we met at Disneyland and spent Christmas Day there and had a blast. Next year, it will be a place a little farther South East. I think "Walt" would approve. One caveat to the "Pact" is if the Ducks get into the Rose Bowl we will go back to Disneyland for Christmas.