Thursday, December 27, 2007

"Pack the Pit"


Tomorrow my son and I are driving to Eugene for an Oregon Duck Basketball Game. What with week night games it makes it impractical to buy season tickets when you live in Medford and it is difficult to get single game tickets for the Pac-10 games on week-ends.Therefore I try to make it up for a game during the Holidays when the students are gone and there are extra ticks for sale. I want to take my son to one more game before they replace MacArthur Court with a new arena. Some time ago I remarked on this blog that I had a poster hanging in my office of the "Kamikaze Kids" who played for coach Dick Harder when I was a young law student in the early 1970's just after I got out of the Army. As a result of that post Julie of Springfield sent me a poem she wrote of that era in Oregon Basketball that expresses the feelings we had and have better than I ever could. With her permission I am posting her poem.


"Back Then.."

Looking back on my youth, the best times I had
Were the U of O games that I shared with my dad.

When I was young, back in '75,
I remember the ducks really came alive!

My dad used to work for the great U of O
And Dick Harter's ducks I sure grew to know.

The "Kamikaze Kids" - (I think there were four)
Is what they were called 'cause they dove on the floor.

We had reserved seats, and if mom said "Alright"
Then I got to go while she stayed home for the night.

Yes, they were wild! Those were the days!
It was great to be part of the kamikaze craze!

There were the civil war games, where the whole crowd would cheer,
And "SIT DOWN RALPH" was sometimes all you could hear.

One of the best parts, was after the game,
We'd all go to Farrell's, win or loose, just the same.

I think the best part of all, was the thrill of Mac Court!
Just being in "The Pit" had a magic of some sort!

Who doesn't remember the great Ronnie Lee?
And there was Bruce Coldren - he wore "thirty three."

The "printing department" used to be my dad's trade.
And when Bruce Coldren walked in, a request my dad made.

So that on my twelfth birthday I was given a letter!
It was signed by Bruce Coldren! What could be better?

Stu Jackson was a BIG name, back in my time.
Nowadays LUKE Jackson is truly sublime.

"Greg Ballard" is another great name we all knew.
I called him "Mr. Rebound" and he wore "forty-two."

At the Valley River Inn, I remember one night,
All of a sudden he came into sight!

He didn't know me, But as we all dined
I picked up a napkin and his autograph he signed!

I was so honored! I thought I would die!
But I tried to act cool - I really did try!
And there was Mike Drummond. He was the shortest of all.
He wore number 10 at just five foot ten inches tall!

Of all the great players, that came and that went,
We can't help but remember the great Ernie Kent!

He was one of "The Kids", and he wore "thirty five".
He was one of the best and that ain't no jive!

I was so very happy, when I heard his name
As the new Oregon coach of the basketball game!

So now that I've turned the big forty years old
I felt a great need for my memories to be told.

Oregon Duck basketball was more than a game.
The players were family and I knew them by name.

Those were great times, and although in the past,
While looking back now, they sure went by fast.

I'm all grown up, and have kids of my own,
And my love of the ducks I have vividly shown!

This new generation now cheers for new guys.
There are plenty of players they can idolize!

Have you seen Ian Crosswhite or James Davis play?
Jordan Kent may pass up his father one day!

They watch Andre Joseph, and watched Freddie Jones, too.
And one of "the Lukes" always knew what to do!

Though this new generation may look up to "Rid"
My dad was my hero when I was a kid.


I think I will take my son to Ferrell's after the game. I know they have changed it's name but I loved the place too.