Monday, December 10, 2007

Movies this Christmas


One of my favorite things do do during the Christmas Holidays is to take the whole family to the movies.
Hollywood at Christmas time releases a whole batch of movies because it knows the public has extra free time and is looking for some entertainment. Here is a list of the movies I would like to see before the holidays are over.

Already in release:

"I'm Not There"

A movie about Bob Dylan and his music. This may be a hard sell to my wife. It's playing in Ashland , but has not made it to Medford yet. Will it ever play in Medford?

"Atonement"

A movie about a boy in England falsely accused of rape in 1935 at a wealthy English Country estate. Then moves on to World War II and the Blitz in London and Dunkirk. Wild horses can not keep me from seeing this movie. There is already talk of a "Best Picture" nomination.

Opens December 21st

National Treasure -Book of Secrets"

Treasure hunter Benjamin Franklin Gates (Cage) looks to discover the truth behind the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, by uncovering the mystery within the 18 pages missing from assassin John Wilkes Booth's diary. I loved the first movie. History, adventure and fun all in one movie. Makes history fun !

Opens December 25th

"Charlie Wilson's War"

A drama based on a Texas congressman Charlie Wilson's covert dealings in Afghanistan, where his efforts to assist rebels in their war with the Soviets.I have already bloged about this movie and The Wickres will at the theater Christmas Day. Tom Hanks, and director Mike Nichols.

Opens December 28th

"The Great Debaters"

A drama based on the true story of Melvin B. Tolson, a professor at Wiley College Texas. In 1935, he inspired students to form the school's first debate team, which went on to challenge Harvard in the national championship. As an old debater from high school, and some in college, how could I not see this movie? In high school we debaters were the nerds and the foot ball players were the coolguys. Now a movie about us. The "Hoosiers" for debaters!


What a great line up of movies to watch with my kids and wife. Yes, I want butter on my popcorn.