Wednesday, December 19, 2007

News magazines are dinosaurs in the age of the internet and 24 hour Cable News


Who really cares who Time Magazine names as "Man of the Year". I can remember a time when I would eagerly anticipate the mailman delivering my weekly subscription of Time, Newsweek or U.S. News and World Report. When they would arrive, I would devour them cover to cover. This was in an era when the only others source of news was the 5 o'clock new on TV and the local newspaper. No more. I ended my subscription to my last news magazine, Newsweek, a few year ago and have never regretted it. By the time I got it in the mail it was "old news" and I had read it on line. Now I get my news off of cable TV, FOX NEWS, C-SPAN, the Internet and a few newspapers. If a news magazine does have a story worth reading I get it off the Internet.

PS Al Gore has demanded that Time Magazine do a recount on the voting for "Man of the Year" er "Person of the Year."