Friday, November 30, 2007

The "Civil War"


As I have said before Oregonian sports columnist John Canzano makes me so angry sometimes I swear I will not read his column ever again. However, today his column is about the fact the "Civil War still has meaning" and he writes about two soldiers stationed in Iraq. One a Duck and one a Beaver.He writes in part:

Someone tell me again how the Civil War has lost its luster. How a rash of frustrating injuries have reduced its meaning. Someone tell me how ugly, and how futile, and how much of a comedown the whole thing is.

Tell me.

Then, tell the two soldiers who climbed on the burned-out Iraqi tank this week at Baghdad International Airport and hung a couple of Ducks and Beavers flags.

ioned in Iraq. One a Duck and the other a Beaver. ....

Hill and Jee took their flags out of their bags this week, and they climbed on top of a destroyed Iraqi tank that was left behind from the 2003 invasion. And they hung the respective flags, and raised their weapons and posed for photographs. And they told each other they couldn't wait to watch Saturday's Civil War football game from the capital city of Iraq.

Never mind that the game kicks off at 12:30 a.m. Baghdad time on Sunday morning. They'll stay up and watch. And cheer. And it will feel like a tiny piece of home coming to them at some quiet hour of a real war.......

So tell me again that this year's Civil War game stinks. And that the injuries have deflated the run-up to kickoff for you. And that the rivalry suddenly feels decumbent, and less attractive, because there should have been a BCS berth on the line.

Tell me.

Then, tell the guys on the tank.

And duck after you do.

( to read the entire column click on the title for a link)