Sunday, November 25, 2007

Stand Tall Duck Fans


I have tried to find the words that express how I feel as a Duck fan with very a wounded team facing the "Civil War" Game with Oregon State on Saturday. Oregon will enter the game with it's 1st, 2nd and 3rd string Quarterbacks gone with injuries and most of it's wide receivers out for the season. The first string running back is playing injured and the 2nd string running back is out for the season. So what's a fan to do, not go to the game, stay home? With apologies to Thomas Paine

These are the times that try Duck fan's souls. The bandwagon fan and the sunshine supporter will, in this late season, shrink from the support of their team; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Football games , like hell, are not easily won; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the circumstances , the more glorious the win. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as beating the Beavers should not be highly rated.

I will be there at Autzen on Saturday when the Seniors are introduced for the last time. I will be there when Dennis Dixon comes on the field for the last game at home and I will cheer him for the last time. Wild horses could not keep me away. I will be there until the final buzzer blows even if the Beavers have scored 60 point and the Ducks have scored none.

I will come back season after season until age or death prevent me from attending and when that time comes I will be, if alive, watching on TV or listen on the radio or if deceased, I will be there in spirit. Let's Go Ducks it's "Civil War Week"!