Sunday, November 11, 2007

Birthday Weekend



This weekend we planed on traveling to Portland to visit my sister for a milestone birthday. However, my wife came down with a bad cold so we decided I would drive to Portland without her. As much as I missed not having her accompany me it was an opportunity to play my new Time/Life CD compilation of Rock music called "Flower Power" in the car as loud as I wanted. A great collection of music from about 1965 to 1972. I watched ESPN GameDay TV, Saturday morning, before I left and listened to the music from Medford to Eugene. I stopped at Best Buy in Springfield and looked at DVD's and then tuned the car radio to ESPN radio GameDay from Eugene to Portland. Just as I got into Portland it was announced Ohio State had lost meaning Oregon would probably move up to 2nd in the BCS college football standings. I called my wife and then our son on my cell phone with the good news. I then went to my sister's house and we visited for a while and I showed her our pictures of our trip to Europe. I have put in three scarp books. I then got a call from our daughter who had just heard the news about the Ohio State upset. On the way into Portland I stopped at a Safeway to get my sister a birthday cake. I then took her out to a restaurant near Clackimas Town Center Mall for a nice meal. We then went to the mall and spent some time at a Barnes & Noble bookstore. While there I found a CD with the soundtrack of the 1963 movie "How the West Was Won" I originally bought the record of the Soundtrack of the movie in 1963 (I still have it) and the tape cassette of it in the 1990's. However, until last night I was unable to find it in CD. Unfortunately, this soundtrack unlike the cassette tape does not have the voice over narration of Spencer Tracey. After shopping we went back to my sister house for cake and then she went to bed while I used her computer to check on football scores. This morning we had a nice breakfast and I said goodbye. It was nice seeing her again. She has recently repainted her living room and dinning room and they looked very nice. I stopped at the outlet shops in Woodburn on the way home. There were a lot of Oregon State Beavers and Washington Huskies there . Both teams played last night in Corvallis. The Beavs won. When I got to Eugene I stopped by Borders Books at the Oakway Mall and purchased a DVD set of "The First Churchills." This was a BBC TV series about Winston's great ancestor the Duke of Marlborough who Winston idolized.
From Eugene to Medford I listened to my new CD set of the Soundtrack to "How the West was Won". When I got home and was talking about my trip with my wife they announced on TV that the Ducks were #2 in the BCS. A good Weekend and Happy Birthday Sister..