Thursday, April 24, 2008

Time with an Old Friend



Tonight I had to make a short business trip and I grabbed my CD of Simon & Garfunkel's album "Parsley,Sage,Rosemary and Thyme" to play in the car and it took me back to the 1960's when I first bought an 8 track tape of this album to play in my car.It's probably difficult for younger people to understand that before the 8 track player the only music in a car was the radio. I also bought the record album and played it through college, the army and then on to law school. I had other Simon &Garfunkel albums but this was my favorite. I would play the 8 track over and over. Well, The 60's turned into the 70's and 80's and I played records and the 8 tracks less and less. We bought a cassette tape of their "The Greatest Hits"album and then their "Concert in Central Park." album As our kids grew up we wore out at least two cassettes of their "Concert in Central park" before we started to convert over to CD's.A year or so ago I found the "Parsley, Sage..." CD at a bargain price but until tonight I hadn't played it very much. Well, playing it tonight it brought back a lot of memories and reminded me of what I have been missing only playing their "Greatest Hits" or "The Essential Simon & Garfunkel"CD's. With the exception of "The Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine" there isn't a bad song on the CD. The "7 O'Clock News" is still powerful even if I disagree with the political message. I love the "How I Was Robert McNamara'd into Submission" and I can play "Scarborough Fair" over and over and not get enough. It was a good time with an old friend.


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme is an album by Simon and Garfunkel, released in the United States on October 10, 1966. Its name comes from the second line of the album's first track, "Scarborough Fair/Canticle," an English folk song from the 16th century, paired with a countermelody and text about a soldier. It peaked on the U.S. charts at #4. The album was produced by Bob Johnston as Columbia Records LP CL 2563 (mono); CS 9363 (stereo); CD CK 9363; Remastered CD CK 66001. "Homeward Bound" was excluded from the album in the UK.

The album can be seen as having a protest element in it: the closing song, "7 O'Clock News/Silent Night", contained clips of a news broadcast about the Vietnam War. Based on the fact that the broadcast carries the news of the death of comedian Lenny Bruce that day, it can be dated from 3 August 1966.

In 2003, the album was ranked number 201 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

SONGS
"Scarborough Fair/Canticle" – 3:10
"Patterns" – 2:42
"Cloudy" – 2:10
"Homeward Bound" – 2:30
"The Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine" – 2:44
"The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" – 1:43
"The Dangling Conversation" – 2:37
"Flowers Never Bend With The Rainfall" – 2:10
"A Simple Desultory Philippic (or How I Was Robert McNamara'd Into Submission)" – 2:12
"For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her" – 2:04
"A Poem on the Underground Wall" – 1:52
"7 O'Clock News/Silent Night" – 2:01