Monday, April 14, 2008

Ben Hur (1959) *****



As a farewell to Charlton Heston I re watched "Ben Hur" on my big screen TV yesterday and it was a treat to see the film again in it's restored condition on a big screen with a good sound system. I almost feel sorry for young people today who have not had an opportunity to watch some of the great classic movies on the big screen in a theater. However what with upgraded DVD players and the proliferation of big screen TVs and good sound systems it is possible to get near the old theater experience. My DVD copy of Ben Hur is a restored version and the color and picture are outstanding. It was the best viewing experiencing I have had of the movie since I saw it in a theater in 1959. There is a lot more religion to the movie than I remember and it was fun seeing Charlton Heston at his best. The chariot race is of course not to be missed. William wyler was a great director

( To read more about the movie click on the title for a link to the IMDB page for the movie)