Sunday, April 27, 2008

Simon & Garfunkel's Second Studio Album (1966)



It's easy to forget with all of the Simon & Garfunkel albums out there that the only did FIVE studio albums together and "Sounds of Silence" was the second.

From Wikipedia:

Released on January 17, 1966. The album's title is a slight modification of the title of the duo's first major hit, " The Sounds of Silence", which was released previously on the album Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M., and also on the soundtrack to the movie The Graduate. It was taken from their debut and electric instruments and drums were overdubbed by Bob Dylan's studio band on June 15, 1965 and released in September 1965 as a single.

[edit] Track listing
"The Sounds of Silence" (Paul Simon) – 3:08
"Leaves That Are Green" (Simon) – 2:23
"Blessed" (Simon) – 3:16
"Kathy's Song" (Simon) – 3:21
"Somewhere They Can't Find Me" (Simon) – 2:37
"Anji" (Davey Graham) – 2:17
"Richard Cory" (Simon) – 2:57
"A Most Peculiar Man" (Simon) – 2:34
"April Come She Will" (Simon) – 1:51
"We've Got a Groovey Thing Goin'" (Simon) – 2:00
"I Am a Rock" (Simon) – 2:50

I love "I am a Rock", "Kathy's Song," "April Come She Will" and of course "The Sounds of Silence." "Kathy's Song" was about Paul's girlfriend "Kathy" who he met in England were he went, after the group broke up for a short time, after Wednesday Morning #AM was released released in 1964 with disappointing results. While in England he recorded "The Paul Simon Song Book" album with Kathy on the cover. The most disappointing thing about the new "Best of Simon & Garfunkel" is it omits "Kathy's Song." I dislike "Richard Cory" and "A most Peculiar Man" not because they are not well done and thoughtful but because they are so depressing. The song "Sounds of Silence" and the album made them stars.This is the first Simon & Garfunkel album I ever purchased. However, in those days (1966) I was still buying 45 records. (Kids those are the small records with the big hole in the center) So my first Simon & Garfunkel records I purchased were 45's of "I am a Rock" , "Sounds of "Silence" and "Homeward Bound". I purchased them at a variety store I was working part time at called Sprouse Reitz in Coos Bay Oregon. The store had a small rack of records and the weeks hits were put on the top of the display. The first time I heard them I could not believe how good they were. I worked part time on Saturdays and two hours after school week neights. That was 42 years ago!