Monday, July 07, 2008

Summer in Medford, Oregon


Well, the 4th of July has come and gone and the Summer of 08 stretches before us.They say America is in a "malaise" but to quote a Democrat from another time "the only thing we need to fear is fear itself."

We spent a quiet 4th at home. Our son had to work on the 4th so we got up late and had lunch at the new Sonic Drive In in Medford and went to Tinseltown to see "Get Smart"**** which we liked a lot. My relationship with my wife is much like the relationship between Maxwell Smart and Agent 99. My wife of course is Agent 99. After the movie we had a BBQ at our house when our son got home from work. He and I then drove down to the new Harry & David Baseball field for fireworks. We took our sand chairs and sat on the grass in center field and had a great view of a nice fireworks show and then were home by 11 pm. The traffic was not bad and the Medford Police Department did a good job of directing traffic. While at the Baseball park I realized it was on the location of the old "Star Light" Drive In Theater. Saturday I did my yard work and watched a Netflix movie on Bobby Jones the golfer which was quite good. I don't golf but I did enjoy the movie and the setting. We all drove over to Ashland Saturday night as I performed a wedding ceremony at a restaurant for a couple at 9 pm. We then stopped by the Dairy Queen on the way home for some ice cream and sat outside on a nice summer night. Sunday after reading the Sunday papers I played my CD set of "Malt Shop Memories" (1950's and early 1960's rock) and took a nap. When Our son got home from work we walked from our house down to Bear Creek Park (.8 Mile) to watch a band concert by a military band. Again, another pleasant summer evening.

Today the expected high is 94 and tomorrow it will climb to 104. More ice tea please!