Saturday, July 19, 2008

"Dark Knight 1* out of 5*****


I hated it! I could not wait till it was over. I kept looking at my watch for the last hour. It all started when our son suggested we go to Medford's Tinseltown Friday night, after work, to see he movie. The movie opened this weekend to almost universally good reviews. I was planing on avoiding the crowds and waiting a few weeks before seeing the movie but our son's enthusiasm for the movie made me change my mind and our son went down Friday morning and got tickets for the 7:00PM showing.
The night started off bad when I found almost all of the previews for coming attractions to be very unappealing. The previews were for the most part were nothing but quick cuts from the movie that tell you very little about the movie other that it has a lot of action.I long for the previews of the 1950's and 1960's. Even the new James Bond movie looked unappealing. Then the "Dark Night" started. It's a dark movie in which evil is always one step ahead of inept law enforcement. The movie gave me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach! One of the few reviewers that didn't like the movie said: "The Dark Knight is the sentinel of our cultural abyss." I guess that is why at the end of the movie many of the large, most young, audience at our movie clapped .... and they weren't clapping because the movie was finally over.... they actually liked the cynical view of the world as expressed in this movie. Movie reviewer Armond White writes Director "Christopher Nolan panders to hip, nihilistic tendencies, forgetting that superheroes are also meant to inspire hope." To read the rest of his excellent review click on the title for a link. I give the movie one star rather than O because of the good production values and generally good acting. Unfortunately they are wasted !

The view this movie takes is summed up by the following line of dialog spoken by one of the movies few hero's turned villain:"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." Not the way I see the world!