Sunday, August 10, 2008

WE FIVE



The "We Five" is one of my favorite singing groups of all time and most people have never heard of them. In about 1965 I purchased the above pictured record album and also the 8 Track tape so I could play it in my car. I still have the 8 Track Tape and Record and today I purchased the CD. In order to find the CD I had to drive over to Ashland to a music store that has an extensive collection on CD's. The CD has both of their only two albums that the original group put out. The first is the best "You Were On My Mind" and the second is "Make Someone Happy." When I put the CD in my car's player it was like visiting an old friend. From 1965 through 1974 I played the heck out of both the record and 8 track. Some things in the past seem better than they really were with the glow of remembrance. Not so with this albumn it is just as good as I remember it in my youth. The soft folk rock group sang mostly covers of Broadway songs and other songs written by others and just about every song on the "You Were On My Mind" album is a winner. The lead singer Beverly Bivens has a beautiful voice and she was a forerunner of the strong female voice for bands of the late 60's and 1970's. The only female vocalist who has her range is Karen Carpenter. The following is from Wikipedia:
We Five was a 1960s folk rock musical group based in San Francisco, California. Their best-known hit was their 1965 remake of Ian and Sylvia's "You Were on My Mind", which reached #1 on the Cashbox chart, #3 on the Billboard Hot 100, and #1 on the Adult Contemporary chart. The original group split before their second album was released in 1967, but a re-formed band produced three more albums between 1968 and 1977. The original group is probably best remembered for the fine vocal qualities of its lead singer Beverly Bivens.


To read more about the group click on the title for a link to Wikipedia.