Wednesday, September 22, 2010

President Obama:“I can’t let this be a war without end, and I can’t lose the whole Democratic Party.”




From today's New York Times in a report of Bob Woodward's new book "Obama's Wars" :

Mr. Obama’s struggle with the decision comes through in a conversation with Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, who asked if his deadline to begin withdrawal in July 2011 (from Afghanistan) was firm. “I have to say that,” Mr. Obama replied. “I can’t let this be a war without end, and I can’t lose the whole Democratic Party.”


The president concluded from the start that “I have two years with the public on this” and pressed advisers for ways to avoid a big escalation, the book says. “I want an exit strategy,” he implored at one meeting. Privately, he told Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. to push his alternative strategy opposing a big troop buildup in meetings, and while Mr. Obama ultimately rejected it, he set a withdrawal timetable because, “I can’t lose the whole Democratic Party.”


How can he send American boys into battle in Afghanistan and ask them to risk their lives for an artificial deadline with no prospect of succeeding based upon domestic political considerations ? This man has no honor !

(Click on the title for a link to the New York Times story)