Wednesday, September 08, 2010

New Blu-ray Set: "America Lost and Found"


On November 23, 2010 there will be a Criterion Blu-ray DVD release of 7 movies in a set called "America Lost and Found." The movies all theatrically released in the late 1960's and early 1970's are examples of "counterculture" movies of that period. The movies are: "Easy Rider","Head","Five Easy Pieces", "Drive He Said", "The Last Picture Show", "A Safe Place" and "The King of Marvin Gardens". I already own DVD's of "Easy Rider", "Five Easy Pieces" and "The Last Picture Show" but it will be nice to have them on blu-ray.

The one movie I am most excited about is "Drive He Said" directed by Jack Nicholson AND filmed at the University of Oregon, Eugene and Mac Court. The move is about a college basketball player who suffers from the stress of playing college basketball and the turbulent 60's. Nicholson does not star in the movie but directed it in Eugene after he had stared in "Five Easy Pieces" in which the famous restaurant scene, where he gets in an argument with a waitress, was filmed at the Denny's on I-5 just south of Eugene.

I saw "Drive He Said" at a theater in Eugene while I was in law school and loved it. It's been on my wish list, for years, of movies I want released on DVD and now it is coming out on Blu-ray just in time for Christmas ! I just put it on my Amazon "wish list."

Click on the title for more on this Blu-ray DVD set.