Saturday, April 11, 2009

Perfect Weekend for Movie:"Wind and the Lion" 1975


This could be a good weekend to play my DVD copy of the 1975 movie "The Wind and the Lion" directed by John Milius. This movie, based upon a historical event,is about an American (Candice Began) and her young son who are kidnapped by a Moroccan Bandit (Sean Connery). President Teddy Roosevelt(Brian Keith) sends the American fleet and the United States Marines to get her back. Keith as TR has several good lines in the movie:

TR:What do I want? I want respect! Respect for human life and respect for American property! And I'm going to send the Atlantic Squadron to Morocco to get that respect



TR:The American grizzly is a symbol of the American character: strength, intelligence, ferocity. Maybe a little blind and reckless at times... but courageous beyond all doubt.


Theodore Roosevelt: Loneliness. The American grizzly lives out his life alone. Indomitable, unconquered - but always alone. He has no real allies, only enemies, but none of them as great as he.
2nd Reporter: And you feel this might be an American trait?
Theodore Roosevelt: Certainly. The world will never love us. They respect us - they might even grow to fear us. But they will never love us, for we have too much audacity! And, we're a bit blind and reckless at times too.
2nd Reporter: Are you perhaps referring to the situation in Morocco and the Panama Canal.
Theodore Roosevelt: If you say so... The American grizzly embodies the spirit of America. He should be our symbol! Not that ridiculous eagle - he's nothing more than a dandified vulture.


You know as well as I do that we can't have Arab desperadoes running around kidnapping American citizens. If I had my way, I'd go in there with a couple of Winchesters, a battalion of Marines - but, I can't do that, can I?


Thanks, John Milius, a perfect movie for this weekend.