Sunday, April 26, 2009

Music Collecting on CD



I have always been a collector of things. When I was very young I collected rocks and toy cars. When our son was growing up we collected football cards of Oregon Duck players. Now that my wife and I are "empty nestors" we have each taken up new hobbies. She is now into quilting and has turned our daughters old room into a sewing room. I have been collecting DVD movies and music on CD. When I was in high school, college , the Army and through law school I collected records of my favorite music. However, after the kids came along I got busy with other things and stopped buying music. Oh, I bought a few tape cassettes to play in the car but not much else. Well about the time the kids left home we got a car with a CD player and I bought a shelf CD player for next to my computer. I have now gone back to my hobby of collecting music but now on CD. My daughter accuses me of just converting my old record collection to CD and she may be partially right. As I have posted before I like 1960's folk and rock.I am a big fan of Simon & Garfunkel and Bob Dylan.

Friday night I was watching the DVD I have of the movie "High Fidelity" (2000) with John Cusack and Jack Black. The movie is about Cusack's troubled love life. He is the owner of a record store in a poor section of Chicago. He and his two nerdish clerks are always talking about music and making lists . Cusack when depressed re organizes his record collection at home based upon his life. It is a very funny movie and I tend to identify with the characters. Remember the scene in "Dinner" when the Daniel Stern character gets mad at his wife for putting a record back on the shelf in the "wrong place"? Much to my regret, I have done the same thing with my wife and kids when they put a DVD back on the shelf in the wrong place. Sorry!In any case, after watching the movie "High Fidelity" I spent part of Saturday at a local used record store here in Medford that is so "rustic" my wife will not go in.They have a large section on "punk rock"!