Saturday, May 03, 2008

Statement from Phil Knight


Phil Knight wouldn't give the Oregonian an interview for but did give them the following statement:

"As a proud Oregonian who started and grew a business here, I am glad to be in a position to give back to the place and the people who helped me succeed.

In August 2007, my wife Penny and I decided to make a major gift of $100 million to the University of Oregon Athletic department, in part to facilitate the construction of a world class basketball arena to replace historic McArthur Court.

The University is fortunate to have in Pat Kilkenny the most educated financial manager to ever serve as Director of Athletics. He has put together a financial plan to maximize athletic department projects with the minimum amount of risk to the state and the University.

This is not the first donation Penny and I have made to the University. Over the years, we have been fortunate in our business and glad to share that success with both the university's academic and athletic programs and other causes locally and globally.

I am confident that this new arena will be built, built well and will be a source of community pride for generations to come."


I love this line from the statement:"Pat Kilkenny the most educated financial manager to ever serve as Director of Athletics."


Look for his exclusive interview in the Sunday Register-Guard and I will link it as soon as it is online.