Thursday, May 24, 2007

Memorable John Wayne Quotes (Day 1)


Only one more day till John Wayne's 100th Birthday on Saturday May 26, 2007. I have saved for today one of my favorite John Wayne Movies, "Rio Grande" (1950).

This was the last of Director John Ford's "Cavalry Trilogy". He actually didn't want to make this movie but Republic Studios would not finance Ford's "The Quiet Man," which it thought would be a money loser, unless he made another western for them. Some critics think this is the best of the "Cavalry Trilogy". Ford paired John Wayne with Maureen O'Hara for the first time and as a "test" for "The Quiet Man" to see if there would be a magic between them. There sure was!

The story takes place in the southwest 15 years after the end of the Civil War. John Wayne plays Lt. Col. Kirby Yorke a veteran of the Civil War who is now fighting the Apache Indians. During the war under orders of General Philip Sheridan, Wayne had burned down his wife's plantation located in the Shenandoah Valley in Virgina. As may be expected this led to a divorce or separation for 15 years. Maureen O'Hara plays the estranged wife. They have a son who Wayne has not seen since the war. The son follows in his fathers footstep and attends West Point and flunks out because of his failure in mathematics and in shame joins the army as a private. He is sent to his father's fort for training. Maureen O'Hara travels to the fort in an attempt to "buy out" her son's enlistment. As a result she and Wayne have to deal with each other and have a reunion of sorts. They still are very much in love with each other in spite of the the war.

The memorable quotes of Wayne that I love are dialogs between Lt. Col. Yorke (Wayne) and his commanding officer Lt. General Philip Sheridan (J Carrol Naish) who is inspecting Wayne's post.

Wayne has just returned to the fort after a difficult battle with the Apaches who escaped by crossing the Rio Grande river into Mexico. Gen. Phil Sheridan is waiting in Wayne's Tent.

Wayne: "Good evening sir."
Sheridan: "Have a cup of your own coffee."
Wayne: "I've been thinking of nothing else for the last two hours."
Sheridan: "Tough ha."
Wayne: "Tough Sir."
Sheridan: "I haven't had a cup of duty coffee with you since we rode down the Shenandoah together. Fifteen yours ago wasn't it?"
Wayne: "Fifteen years, two months and seven days."
Sheridan: "How did you fare on patrol."
Wayne: "Had a running fight for 30-odd miles. We captured Natchez their chief and eight others before the Apaches reached the Rio Grande and crossed into Mexico. Pursuant to orders I halted on our side of the river. Men didn't like it very much."
Sheridan: Neither did you. Neither do I, but that's the policy and soldiers don't make policy they merely carry it out."
Wayne: "The State Department could do something."
Sheridan: Yes, they'll write a sharp note of protest. If you care to read notes of protest."
Wayne: I'll disclaim them over the graves of the troopers who were guarding the water holes. Three of them staked face down on ant hills."
Sheridan: "You've got the dirtiest job in the army no doubt of that."
Wayne: I'm not complaining sir, I get paid for it."
Sheridan: "Maybe you should complain. I'll listen."
Wayne: This coffee isn't as good as it used to be."
Sheridan: "I'll make a note of that. Maybe someday it'll get better and stronger."
Wayne: "I'll drink to that sir... Stronger."

********************

Folks, this is not "Dances with Wolves"

********************

Later in the movie there is another conversation between Wayne (Yorke) and Gen. Sheridan after the Apache Indians raid the army post and kidnap a wagon full of children from the post and escape across the Rio Grande River into Mexico.

Sheridan: "Now I'll probably ruin your army career. I'm going to issue an order and give it to you personally. I want you to cross the Rio Grande. Hit the Apache and burn them out. I'm tired of hit and run. I'm sick of diplomatic hide and seek. .... be prepared to remain all winter. All next winter if necessary.
Wayne: I've waited a long time for that order sir. Which, of course I didn't hear."
Sheridan: Of course you-didn't hear. I assure you if you fail the members of your court marshal will be the men who rode with us down the Shenandoah. I'll hand pick them my self."
Wayne: "Shenandoah"
Sheridan: "I wonder what history will say about Shenandoah?"
Wayne: "How about a cup of coffee? You'll find it stronger!"

******************

Having grown up watching this movie and having loved this dialog I was not shocked about Lt Col. Oliver North and Iran/Contra. What will history say about Ronald Reagan!