Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Memorable John Wayne Quotes (Day 9)


In the lead up to John Wayne's 100th birthday, on May 26th, I thought I would list a number of memorable quotes of John Wayne from "The Searchers" (1956). There are just too many quotes to pick just one. In this movie Directed by John Ford, Wayne plays Ethan Edwards, who has returned from the Civil War to the Texas ranch of his brother, he hopes to find a home with his family and to be near the woman he obviously but secretly loves(his sister in law). But a Comanche raid destroys these plans, and Ethan sets out, along with his 1/8 Indian nephew Martin, on a years-long journey to find the niece kidnapped by the Indians under Chief Scar. But as the quest goes on, Martin begins to realize that his uncle's hatred for the Indians is beginning to spill over onto his now-assimilated niece. Martin becomes uncertain whether Ethan plans to rescue Debbie...or kill her. (Written by Jim Beaver and posted on the IMDB.

The picture is of John Wayne resting his horse knowing that he and other members of a Texas Ranger posse were lured by the Comanches away from their isolated ranches so they could raid their homesteads. His nephew Martin rides off to the ranch even after Wayne has advised him the horses need rest and will not make it back to the ranch with out it. On the other the hand he knows and is thinking about what is happening to his brother and his family and knows he will be too late! Look into his eyes and tell me he is not a great actor!

*******************************

Reverend Clayton( Ward Bond): "Well, the prodigal brother. When did you get back? Ain't seen you since the surrender. Come to think of it, I didn't see you at the surrender."
Ethan( John Wayne): "I don't believe in surrenders. Nope, I've still got my saber, Reverend. Didn't beat it into no plowshare, neither."

Ethan(John Wayne): "Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America."

*******************************

(Reverend Clayton delivers a prayer at the Edwards' funeral for Aaron, Martha, and Ben]
Ethan: "Put an amen to it!" Reverend Clayton: "I ain't finished yet."
Ethan: "There's no more time for praying! AMEN!"

******************************

Reverend Clayton: "You wanna quit, Ethan?"
Ethan: "That'll be the day."

(Upon seeing this movie Buddy Holly wrote the song "That'll be the day")

******************************

Ethan: ".... Seems like he never learns there's such a thing as a critter that'll just keep comin' on. So we'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just a"s sure as the turnin' of the earth."

*******************************

Ethan: "What you saw was a buck wearin' Lucy's dress. I found Lucy back in the canyon. Wrapped her in my coat, buried her with my own hands. I thought it best to keep it from ya."

Brad: "Did they...? Was she...?"

Ethan: "What do you want me to do? Draw you a picture? Spell it out? Don't ever ask me! Long as you live, don't ever ask me more."

*******************************

Ethan: "Let's go home, Debbie."

*******************************

John Ford directed the movie in Monument Valley.