Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Fred Thompson is no Reagan.

Many of my fellow Conservatives are unhappy with the current field of Republican candidates for the Republican nomination for President of the United States. As a result, they are promoting Fred Thompson and hope he will announce his decision to run for President. I like Fred Thompson but he is not the leader they hope for. I have followed Fred Thompson's career since his service as Republican counsel on the Senate Watergate Committee in 1973-1974. He was hired by fellow Tennessean Senator Howard Baker. I remember thinking at the time that Baker must have got a crony of his from Tennessee because Thompson did not shine in his role as minority council. A few years later I read Thompson's book on his experiences as Minority Council titled
"At That Point in Time: The Inside Story of the Senate Watergate Committee" published in 1975. I found the book interesting but also confirmed that this guy was a crony of Senator Baker as I had suspected earlier. A few years later I started to see Thompson in small parts in movies such as "The Hunt for Red October" He then ran for Senator from Tennessee and was elected and then did not run for reelection in 2002. He had a good voting record in the Senate but did not show leadership qualities. I was particularly disappointed by his lack of leadership during the Senate impeachment trial of Bill Clinton. He then retired in 2002 when the country needed leadership in the Senate in the days following 9/11. He lacks "fire in the belly" to be a good candidate for President. I watched his interview on Fox News last night by Shaun Hanity and again he has a certain reticence that bothers me. He also looks tired and and old both in looks and personality. I like him, but not as a leader in a time of war. Of course, I will support anyone we Republicans nominate. I just think John McCain or Rudy Giuliani would be better candidates even if they are not as conservative as I am.. I support John McCain. Again, I like Fred Thompson but he isn't willing or able to do the "heavy lifting" required to run for President of the United States. He lacks the "fire in the belly". Don't run Fred!