Saturday, May 19, 2007

Memorable John Wayne Quotes (Day 6)


John Wayne as Dave Crockett in The Alamo (1960)

"I'm goin' a tell you something, Flaca, and I want you to listen tight. It may sound like I'm talkin' about me, but I'm not, I'm talkin' about you. As a matter of fact, I'm talkin' about all people everywhere. When I came down here to Texas I was lookin' for somethin'. I didn't know what. It seems like you add up my life and I've spent it all either stompin' other men, or in some cases gettin' stomped. Had me some money and had me some medals. But none of it seemed a lifetime worth the pain of the mother that bore me. It's like I was empty. Well, I'm not empty any more. That's what's important. To feel useful in this old world. To hit a lick against what's wrong, or to say a word for what's right, even though you get walloped for saying that word. Now, I may sound like a Bible beater yelling up a revival meeting at a river crossing camp meeting, but that don't change the truth none. There's right and there's wrong. You got a do one or the other. You do the one and you're living. You do the other and you may be walking around, but you're dead as a beaver hat."

Good thing the defenders of the Alamo didn't believe in "cut and run".