Thursday, May 17, 2007

Memorable John Wayne Quotes (Day 8)



Today's memorable quote is from my favorite John Wayne Movie, "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon"(1949). The movie was directed by John Ford in Monument Valley in glorious color. John Wayne plays Nathan Brittles, a Captain in the United States Calvary stationed at a fort in the southwest. He has spent his life in the Calvery and is nearing retirement. The scene takes place in the evening as he leaves the fort to visit the grave of his wife and children on a hill near he fort. As he is watering the flowers planted around the graves he carries on a conversation with his deceased wife:

"Well, Mary only six more days to go and your old Nathan will be out of the Army. Haven't decided what I'll do yet. Somehow, I just can't picture myself back there on the banks of the Wabash rocking on the front porch. No, I've been thinking I'd maybe push on West. New settlements, California.

We had some sad news today, Mary. George Custer was killed. His whole command....Miles Keogh. You remember Miles? Happy-go-lucky Irishman. Who used to waltz so well with you. Yeah, I know. I guess I was a little jealous. Never could waltz myself. Well, I'm taking the troop out in the morning. Cheyennes around. I'm to pick up the patrols and drive them on back North. It'll probable be my last mission, Mary. Hard to believe, isn't it? Hard to believe."