Monday, November 07, 2011

John Ford Honored by Stamp



In 2012 the United States Postal Service will issue a stamp honoring film director John Ford. When Orson Wells was ask to name the great film directors he said "John Ford, John Ford, and John Ford." As a kid growing up in the 1950's and 1960's no film maker shaped my view of life more than John Ford. Even without knowing who was directing the movies his movies left an impression of what was important in life. "How Green Was My Valley", the Calvary Trilogy (Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Rio Grande) "Drums along the Mohawk", "Young Mr Lincoln," "They Were Expendable", "My Darling Clementine", "The Quiet Man" and who could forget "Stagecoach." I watched many if not all of these movie at the Drive In Movies with my parents. Just last night I re watched "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" on DVD and gained new insights as to the movie and Ford.

The stamp series will also honor Directors Frank Capra,Billy Wilder and John Houston.

Frank Capra with his "Mr Smith Goes to Washington" and 'It's a Wonderful Life" both with Jimmy Stewart were films that have stayed with me through the years. I never tire of watching them.

For more information click on the title for a link to directedbyjohnford.com the only site on the web dedicated to film director John Ford.