Wednesday, January 16, 2008

South Medford Basketball


Last night my wife was feeling a little "under the weather" so my friend Shaun and I went to the South Medford vs Sheldon Irish men's high school basketball game here in Medford. I was very torn between staying home and watching the primary returns from Michigan or going to the game. We have season tickets for all of South Meford's games so I recorded the TV primary coverage. South is rated as the #2 or 3 team in the state but they were tied with Sheldon in the South Western Conference. Sheldon and South exchanged leads and Sheldon led by 3 paints at the end of the 1st Quarter and by as much as 6 points in the 2nd Quarter. South led at the half and blew them out in the second half. South won the state championship last year but it's best player from last year is now playing for Duke University. On the team this year is a player who has signed a letter of intent to play for Washington State University and a brother of the Duke kid who is very good too. Let's hope they make it to state. After the game I went home and watched all the Michigan primary coverage on TV that I recorded on my VCR. No TIVO yet. There was a good crowd at the game for a Tuesday night. High school basketball is good clean fun. I was commenting to my friend that all or most of South's games are broadcast on the radio. This adds to the feeling of community spirit. You don't get that in the big or even medium sized cities where there is little radio coverage of high School sports and most people don't care unless there kid is involved. I don't know this for sure but I doubt that in a city like Eugene Oregon ( Where Sheldon is located) there is much radio coverage of high school sports. On the other hand their is radio coverage in the smaller cities of Roseburg, Grants Pass, Medford and Ashland. Hay, even the Hot Dog was good. Isn't it amazing how much beter a Hot dog tasts at a game over one at home.