Monday, March 20, 2006

Yard Work.... Love/Hate Relationship

I have a love/hate relationship with my yard. I love a nice yard but I hate the work necessary to keep it that way. The trees in my yard lose their leaves in the fall, winter AND spring. Therefore, except in summer, raking leaves is a year round project. I have a driveway that slopes down from our circle into the ground so that you can drive into our garage that is under the house. There are retaining walls on three sides. As a result all the leaves from the circle blow down into our driveway. It is sort of a funnel. I therefore have to sweep leaves every week. On Saturday I put some fertilizer and moss killer on our lawns. We have had so much rain this year the lawn is full of moss. Fertilizer makes the lawn look nice but then you have to mow it. Our house is next to a little stream that is on city property. The city does not take care of the property next to to the stream so I am always weed- eating the city property so we can see the stream. My wife is in charge of flowers and rose bushes and does a nice job. Before long the weekly lawn mowing will start. I also want to redo the retaining walls on the side yard when the weather gets better.. On job I love is using Round-Up to kill the weeds. The kids used to help do yard work when they lived at home but now they are gone. My next house will have little or no yard work.