Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A.P. Partisan?

I have been a news junkie since I was very young back in the early 60's. I always believed that the Associated Press Wire service was very balanced in its news reports. "Just the Facts" as Joe Friday would say on the TV series Dragnet. However in the last few years I have noticed a definite anti Bush or anti Republican tone in the AP's coverage. This is something I didn't notice even during the Reagan or the first Bush administration. Click on the title above for a link to an Editor and Publisher report on a news report by AP reporter Jennifer Loven that illustrates the trend of the AP to sound like a taking points memo of the Democratic Party. What's disturbing about this is the AP is used by many newspapers, TV stations and Radio Stations as their primary source of national news. Next time you read an AP news report remember it is no longer "just the facts" but a lot of opinion even if it is not labeled as such. Too bad!