Saturday, March 04, 2006

No Academy Awards Show for Me !

Tomorrow night is the Academy Awards Show on TV. With one exception, I have watched EVERY Academy Awards show since 1957 when The Bridge on the River Kwai won for Best Picture. The one exception, as my luck would have it, was in 1970 when I was in Officer Candidate School (OCS) in the Army at Fort Belvoir in Virginia. Somehow the Army didn't think the show was that important for the training of a US Army Officer. My bad luck is that was the year John Wayne won Best Actor for True Grit. The Award presenter of all people was Barbara Strisend. In any case, I will not watch this year for the reasons set forth by Charles Krauthammer below. Usually in the winter I am trying to watch every picture that has been nominated for Best Picture. This year I have not seen one. I don't intend on seeing any and will not buy or rent them when they come out on DVD. I love movies as my DVD collection demonstrates but not this year. Maybe next year. So while the Acadamy Awards Show is on TV I will run my DVD copy of John Wayn's The Alamo from 1960.

To see my DVD collection click on the title above for a link