Saturday, March 25, 2006

Directed By John Ford : Part I


My son came home from college last night for Spring Vacation and we sat down and watched my new DVD of Young Mr. Lincoln from 1939 directed by John Ford. See post below. In some ways I am more of a fan of John Ford than of John Wayne. John Ford led a very interesting life and in my posts to follow I will discuss his life. The picture on the left of John Ford hangs in my movie room. I thought it would be fun to list my favorite John Ford Movies:

Stagecoach (1939) *
Young Mr. Lincoln (1939)#
Drums Along the Mohawk (1939)#
The Grapes of Wrath (1940)#
How Green Was My Valley (1941)
Battle of Midway (1942)---- documentary --- Ford was there!
They Were Expendable (1945)*
My Darling Clementine (1946)#
Fort Apache (1948)* # Calvary Trilogy
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949) * Calvary Trilogy
Rio Grande (1950)* Calvary Trilogy
The Quiet Man (1952)*
The Searchers (1956)*
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)*
How the West was Won (1962)* He directed the Civil War Segment
(* Staring John Wayne)
(# Staring Henry Fonda)

He made many more but these are my favorite. I can and do, watch them again and
again. To see a list of John Ford DVD's in my library go to DVD Aficionado.com by clicking on the title above for a link.