Sunday, November 13, 2005

My time in the U.S. Army Part III

Fort Carson Colorado. I spent my last year at Fort Carson Colorado. By this time in 1970/71 the Army was not a happy place. The draft had ended and the Army was moving toward an all-volunteer Army. Many of the soldiers at Fort Carson had served their tour in Vietnam and just wanted out. Moral was very low. The army didn't know what to do with me. I was sent to an artillery unit. I eventually became a supply sergeant. At one time I volunteered for permanent KP as I would work one day and get two days off. I worked as a dining room orderly.... ie I cleaned tables. Colorado Springs is a very nice place but it gets very cold on guard duty in the middle of winter and Army pay didn't go very far in those days. Just before I got out I made E-5. In Late August 2001, I left after surviving my two-year to go to law school at the University of Oregon. When I got back to the University of Oregon I let my hair grow as a protest to my days in the Army. The GI Bill paid for most of my Law School.

In thinking back on my two years in the Army I am glad I served. The Army taught me discipline and organization that I have used to this day. I didn't like it at the time but the Army made me a better person. When I got to law school some of the students couldn't take the strain. I always said as tough as the professors are they can't "grass drill "you and no one is going to shoot at you. Considering the sacrifice many made in going to Vietnam, my time in the Army was very uneventful, but I met many nice people from all over this country. In those days the Army was truly a melting pot.