Sunday, November 06, 2005

Birthday Weekend

This weekend our family had a mini family reunion. On Saturday my wife and I drove to Eugene from Medford. It rained most of the way and there were two car accidents on I-5. We got to Eugene about 10:30 am and met my sister who drove down from Portland. The get together was to celebrate my sister’s 5*th birthday. On the way to Eugene my sister stopped in Salem to pick up our son a senior at Willamette University. After meeting in Eugene my wife and sister went shopping and then drove to Cottage Grove to check into the Village Green Motel. Because of the football game it was impossible to get a motel in Eugene. My son and I put on our rain gear and went to the Oregon vs. Cal football game. It rained the entire game but the Ducks won in overtime. As usual we parked on the University of Oregon campus side of the Willamette River and took the footbridge to the game. We stayed fairly dry in our rain gear but it sure was a wet game. There is nothing like "the high" you get after a big overtime win. The entire crowd was so loud at the end of the game. After the game we drove to Cottage Grove to meet up with the girls and took my sister out to dinner for her birthday. After dinner we returned to the motel for a birthday cake and presents. Before dinner my son and I got to watch the end of the Washington/Oregon State game on TV. Too bad they both couldn’t lose. Sunday we got up and had breakfast at the motel and we all headed home. My wife and I drove both of our cars to Eugene so our son could take one back to Salem so he can meet me in Eugene in two weeks for the "Civil War" game with Oregon State and he can then drive home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. On the drive home to Medford it rained hard the entire way and we saw two more car accidents in I-5. Happy Birthday Sister!