Sunday, November 20, 2005

Civil War Weekend

This was a good weekend. Both the Huskies and the Beavers lost. Of course the Ducks, beat the Oregon State Beavers 56 to 14 in Eugene.

I left for the Civil War Game Saturday and drove the three hour trip to Eugene. Left about 10 AM and listened to a CD of the soundtrack to the Movie Gettysburg to get in the mood for the "Civil War" game . Yes, I know I'm a nerd. Got to Cottage Grove about 12:30 and checked into my motel room. Stayed at the Comfort Inn and got a nice room. Drove the rest of the way to Eugene and met my son at Hirons near the UofO campus . He had driven down from Willamette University in Salem. We found a place to park our cars and had a late lunch at a Chinese restaurant across Franklin Blvd from Hirons. We then stopped by my car and got our heavy coats and gloves because it would be a cold game. We walked to the game over the foot bridge across the Willamette River. We went to our seats and got ready for 3:30 PM the game. The game was a lot of fun. Even though Oregon jumped on the Beavers early the crowd was in the game and very loud to the end. We wanted to get revenge for last year. It was very foggy and hard to see down at the far goal line. The fog made the game surrealistic. The Ducks as a surprise wore their new uniforms made by Nike. After the game we met up with a friend of my son's who also goes to Willamette University. He had also come down to Eugene to watch the game with his parents. We walked down on the field and walked back to our cars. We then drove to Rolling Rapids Pizza Parlor to celebrate the win. Rolling Rapids used to be called Pietros and I ate there after for my, and Autzen stadiums first, Oregon Football game back in 1967. We ran into two groups of friends from Medford who had also gone to the game and I had a good time visiting and talking about the game. My son and his friend watched the U$C vs Fresno State game on the TV at the Pizza parlor. After Pizza I said good by to my son who was going to stay awhile and watch the game to avoid all the traffic on I-5 going back to Portland (there were 58,0000+ at the game) before he went back to Salem. I called my wife at home and went back to Cottage Grove and my Motel to watch the end of the U$C game and fell asleep to a replay of the Oregon game. Drove back to Medford on Sunday and watched Coach Mike Belotti's coaches TV show with highlights of the big win. Now we need to wait to see what bowl Oregon will go to. Probably the Fiesta in Arizona or the Holiday in San Diego. The Fiesta is a BCS Bowl but the only one I will probably be able to go to is the Holiday. San Diego is a nice place particularly in late December. Go Ducks.