Monday, July 31, 2006

Summer Project.... "The Room"

This past weekend we worked on "The Room." Our Son is leaving for Grad School in a few days and will probable not return in the future to live in our home for any extended period of time. He is going to Grad School in the Midwest and will probably spend summers going to summer school and then on to a teaching job. I want to emphasize he will always be welcome at home. As a result, he, my wife and I spent the weekend cleaning out his room. I remember after I left my parents home for good they later moved and a lot of my stuff from childhood was lost or thrown away. So we decided not to let that happen with our son. The tree of us therefore cleaned out his room and set up four stacks of items, the goodwill stack, the trash stack, the Grad School stack and the "keep" stack.I inherited a lot of Oregon Duck clothing in the process.I also go my "Bush Country" tee shirt back. Our son is a "pack rat," as I am, so this was a major project. There were stacks of newspapers where he had written letters to the editor or columns from his college newspaper. There were letters and college applications, toys from childhood, cub scout stuff and all the things we collect growing up. It was a trip down memory lane. It was hard work but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Sunday night we took him to Callahan's Lodge for dinner. Saturday night we watched the DVD of "Warm Springs" about FDR and his fight with polio before he became President. Sunday night we watched "Breakfast at Tiffany's". We also watched with my wife "Memory's of a Geisha" (very slow).
It has cooled off here in Southern Oregon and there is a chill in the air and it is still July!