Monday, July 24, 2006

"South Pacific"


This last weekend I escaped from hot Medford Oregon to the South Pacific when I rewatched my DVD of the Movie "South Pacific" on my new high definition widescreen TV. The movie has never looked better. The movie is a love story about a French Planter (Rossano Brazsi) who falls in love with a US. Navy Nurse (Mitzi Gaynor) during WWII. The movie is one of my favorite Musicals. The movie takes place during WWII but it has a 1950's flavor to it. It was a Broadway Musical during much of the 1950's and was brought to the screen in 1958. When I first saw the movie as a kid I went for the WWII story and hated the music. Today the music is the best part of the movie and play. Who can forget such songs as "There is noting like a Dame," "Bloody Mary," "Some Enchanted Evening," I'm Gonna Wash that Man Righ Ota My Hair," "Younger Than Springtime" and "Happy Talk." My favorite is Mitzi Gaynor on the beach singing "A wonderful Guy" For me It doesn't get any better than that...
"I'm as normal as blueberry pie.
No more a smart little girl with no heart,
I have found me a wonderful guy!

I am in a conventional dither,
With a conventional star in my eye.
And you will note there's a lump in my throat
When I speak of that wonderful guy!

I'm as trite and as gay as a daisy in May,
A clich'e comin' true!
I'm bromidic and bright
As a moon-happy night
Pourin' light on the dew!

I'm as corny as Kansas in August,
High as a flag on the Fourth of July!
If you'll excuse an expression I use,
I'm in love, I'm in love,
I'm in love, I'm in love,
I'm in love with a wonderful guy!"


A real Show Stopper and a great way to beat the heat.

Click on the title above for a link to the Internet Movie Data Base page for "South Pacific"

.