Friday, June 07, 2013

Stop the Domestic NSA Surveillance



Yesterday Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner sent the following letter to Eric Holder, Attorney General of the United States

 
“As the author of the Patriot Act, I am extremely troubled by the FBI’s interpretation of this legislation. While I believe the Patriot Act appropriately balanced national security concerns and civil rights, I have always worried about potential abuses. The Bureau’s broad application for phone records was made under the so-called business records provision of the Act.  I do not believe the broadly drafted FISA order is consistent with the requirements of the Patriot Act. Seizing phone records of millions of innocent people is excessive and un-American.”


I too have been a supporter of the Patriot Act but the present interpretation of the law is wrong and if necessary should be amended to limit the power of the National Security Agency (NSA) to monitor domestic calls and internet in the United States.  If I post something on this blog it’s for the world to see.  However, who I call and for how long I call is my business!  The same is true for my email and my searches  on Google or other search engines.  I have no problem with the NSA monitoring calls or emails from the United States to other countries or calls or emails coming into the United States from other countries.  But, short of probable cause the government should not be able to monitor domestic communications within this country.

This is not a partisan issue.  I find it hard to believe that I stand with the ACLU, The New York Times, Al Gore, and Oregon Senator Ron Wyden on this issue.  I find it more comforting that Kentucky  Senator Rand Paul, lawyer & radio commentator Mark Levin and Judge Napolitano also stands with me on this issue.

It is becoming clear to me that the Federal Government of the United States is out of control.  Neither the President or Congress is able to take control of the large bureaucracy. The President needs to give up his job of “Campaigner in Chief” and sit in the Oval Office and run the government. The Congress of the United States needs to create less laws and government and limit the rule making authority of the bureaucracy.  


There is no greater supporter of the War on Terrorism than I am.  In fact, I even acknowledge we are WAR on terrorism but I also do not trust big government and there must be check on government power and constant vigilance by free men and women to guard our freedom. We must draw a line and make a stand!
Jonah Goldberg in his column today said it best:
No, I don’t have much confidence in this administration. But I don’t have an abundance of confidence in government generally. That’s one of the things I love about America: The default position is to be skeptical of government, no matter who’s in charge.