Monday, May 18, 2009

Newsweek joins MSNBC in advocacy journalism



Newsweek is cutting their circulation by 50% from 3.1 million to 1.5 million and joining the ranks of the New Republic in becoming an opinion journal of the left. They are also, in a recession, raising the newsstand cost from $4.98 to $5.98.

I let my subscript to Newsweek run out weeks ago. I have been receiving Newsweek for the last 40 years. I can remember before the Internet waiting for the postman to deliver my weekly Newsweek to devour the political news from Washington DC. No More. The liberal slant on the news, which was always there, has given way to outright opinion over news.I have seen this trend for several years but this last year it became very obvious. In fact, a little over a year ago I let my subscription expire only to renew it when they offered me a years subscription for $20.00 ($.39 per issue)However, even that became too much! In the last year my secretary when she brought me my office mail would purposely not bring in Newsweek because she became tired of my expressions of outrage over another Obama "puff piece". So long Newsweek it was nice knowing you. Now, if only I could get a years subscription to National Review for $20.00 !