Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Phil Knight on the Departure of Bill Moos as Oregon AD

In this mornings Eugene Register Guard sports columnist Ron Bellamy quotes Nike's Phil Knight on the departure of Bill Moos and the selection of a successor:

"They're really at kind of a crossroads," Nike co-founder Phil Knight said. "This next choice is going to be really important. I know they're going to weigh it pretty heavily. I think they're going to try to find a way to where they don't get rushed into something. I think they're leaning toward an interim AD, so they don't get rushed into a permanent choice, because the choice is so important.

"Over the last 12 years, the department has grown up a lot. Now it's kind of a question of whether it grows up some more, or goes back the other way."


Had Moos become an impediment to the building of a new arena? Perhaps, in the short term, but that's speculation. Asked Monday if in some way he'd pushed Moos out, Knight said "for sure I didn't." Did he have any influence over Moos' departure?

"I know there wasn't any direct influence," Knight said. "Indirect, I suppose I made his job a little harder. It may have made Spokane look better faster than it would have otherwise, I don't know."
Knight said the topic of the arena "hasn't come up in a while, and I haven't thought about it for a while. At some point it will be revisited, but I don't know where I am on that right now."

Moos and Knight saw each other at halftime of Friday's Civil War in Corvallis. By then, Knight knew of Moos' yet-unannounced decision - the AD had told some folks, including football coach Mike Bellotti, who'd told his assistant coaches, so word was spreading. The two shook hands.

"I told him we had a lot of interactions over the 12 years, and there were a lot more positives than negatives, and he agreed," Knight said. As Moos put it: "He said `We've had some great times.' And I said, `Boy, have we.' "

Knight said that Moos "can look back on his 12 years with considerable pride," and that's true. It took a special person to get Oregon from there to here; it will certainly take another to get Oregon from here to a future in which Oregon athletics climb higher.

(To read Ron Bellamy's entire column click on the title above for a link)