Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Movie: "Bobby"


"Bobby" opens Thanksgiving Day. Even if it has a liberal message I will go to this movie. I remember the day in 1968 like it was yesterday. I was a Junior at the University of Oregon and was studying for a final for Speech class and had hay fever real bad .My parents were on a trip back from Europe and were staying at the New Oregon Motel across the street but I hadn't seen them yet because of studying for the final in my dorm room. I turned on ABC for their California Presidential Primary special and they came to the end of the half hour special and they were ready to sign off and they started to obviously stall in ending the broadcast and then switched to the ballroom were people were screaming and crying. A few minuets before I had seen Bobby claim victory over Gene McCarthy and said "On to Chicago" where the Democratic convention was to be held. I had seen him in person a little more than week before (the Sunday before the Oregon primary) at the Lane County Fairgrounds. He lost to Gene McCarthy in Oregon but won in California. It was going to be a fight all the way to the convention and then a real contested convention.It all ended that night. Click on the title above for a link to the Internet Movie Data Base page for the movie.