Saturday, June 03, 2006

Dogs for the Deaf Dog Walk


One of my favorite charitable activities is working for Dogs for the Deaf an organization based here in southern Oregon that trains dogs to assist people who are deaf. The dogs are able to warn the deaf person if the door bell or telephone rings or for example if a baby cries. They place dog's all over the country at no charge. They also save many dogs from the "Dog Pound." I have been helping this organization with their legal issues for the last 30 years. Today they had their annual "dog walk" which is their main local fundraiser. They ask me to be the "Grand Marshall" of the event. I was sort of like the pace car at the Indy 500.I carried a big flag and led the 300 or so people with their dogs around the park to start off the three mile dog walk. I saw four English Bull Dogs which reminded me of our "first child" Winnie. Some day before I die I will own another English Bull Dog. In any case it was a lot of fun. Afterwards my wife and I went to Starbucks and then on to Barnes & Noble and I bought a biography on Teddy Roosevelt.