Thursday, September 29, 2005

"Good time" at Autzen

Some one on the educk forum posted this report on their "game day" experience when the University of Oregon Ducks played U$C in football last Saturday at Autzen Stadium in Eugene Oregon. Sometimes in the heat of wins and losses we lose the perspective of how much fun it is to go to an Oregon game and it is especially fun when it is a family experience. The post is as follows:

"At the risk of sounding out of place on the board, I had a really good time on Saturday. I get to make about one pilgrimage a year to Autzen and it was (almost) everything I could have asked for.

A gorgeous day.

A legendary crowd. Biggest of all time. I know, I know, those folks could have been back in their seats at halftime, but come on . . . I watched the OSN replay -- it was like a South American soccer crowd. There was one continuous roar for all of the first half and a decent part of the 3rd quarter, until they got their 2 TDs. I was at '94 Oregon-Arizona; '86 and '87 Oregon-Washington; 2000 Oregon-UCLA. This was as good or better a crowd. My 10-year old was wearing a green and yellow wig and screaming his guts out, and had to keep checking to be sure it was okay keep make raspberry noises toward the neighboring SC fans.

An opponent for the ages. Even if they lose this week this SC team is already in the history books. They could be on the cover before it's all done.

A game. I kept telling people all week; "well at least we'll get to yell before the game starts." I knew there was a very real possibility we'd get smoked from the outset. Well we didn't. We had hope. Winning would have been better, but it was still pretty cool. A comparable experience to the '95 Rose Bowl.

A future. We can go toe-to-toe with the big boys. For everybody here who thinks that every loss is the beginning of the end, consider the following. Think to yourself who you consider the elite college FB teams. See if I missed anybody, while I recap the worst of their last 10 seasons.

Alabama: 6-6, 4-9, 7-5, 3-8, 7-5, 4-7
Florida: 7-5, 8-5, 8-5
Florida State: 9-3, 10-3, 9-5, 8-4
Georgia: 8-4, 8-4, 8-4, 5-6, 6-6
Iowa: 7-5, 3-9, 1-10, 3-8, 7-5
LSU: 8-5, 8-4, 3-8, 4-7
Michigan: 9-3, 8-4, 8-4, 9-4
Nebraska: 5-6, 7-7
Tennessee: 8-5, 8-4
Notre Dame: 6-6, 5-7, 5-6, 5-7, 7-6
Ohio State: 8-4, 7-5, 8-4, 6-6
Oklahoma: 7-5, 5-6, 4-8, 3-8, 5-5-1
Penn State: 4-7, 3-9, 5-6, 5-7
Miami: 9-3, 9-4, 5-6
USC: 6-6, 5-7, 6-6, 8-5, 6-5, 6-6
Texas: 9-5, 4-7, 8-5
Texas A&M: 7-5, 4-8, 6-6, 7-5, 8-4, 6-6
Va. Tech: 8-5, 8-4, 7-5
Washington: 1-10, 6-6, 7-6, 8-4, 7-5, 6-6

Many Trojan fans think their current streak will continue indefinitely. It won't -- simple as that. The 5th year seniors on their current team played against our '01 team. The 5th year seniors on THAT team were completing their 31-29 run.

I like to wonder what the true freshman, mostly redshirts, will have to say about Saturday's game when they look back in 2009?

I distinctly remember Joey talking about he and the other true freshmen watching wide-eyed during the '97 Oregon-Arizona season-opener (a night game) and wanting to recreate that electricity for themselves. I suspect that the recruits in attendance and the true freshman on this year's team took something positive from the USC game.

I think Duktape said it all in his post, below about negativity in fans. What are you folks seeking? Even in the down years, those 45 hours or so of actual Duck gametime are right at the top of my list of favorite recreational activities. I work hard all week (except maybe while writing this) and I treasure my Duck games. I love my chance to second-guess the people who coach football for a living. I couldn't coach as well as they do, but the chance to MMQ them is cool.

I had a good time. My wife and son had a good time. I suspect most of the others there did, to"