Friday, September 16, 2005

Game 3 : Oregon vs Fresno State : Ducks Win 37 to 34

The Ducks pay Fresno State at home in Eugene on Saturday September 17. Because of my volunteer work for the Duck Athletic Fund I have been invited to view the game from one of the new Sky Suites on the South Side of Autzen Stadium built courtesy of Phil Knight. Each year the Oregon Club of Southern Oregon sponsors a golf tournament and dinner auction we call Duffin for the Ducks. I run the dinner auction and this is one of the things the Duck Athletic Department does to say "thanks." I did this last year for the Arizona game. The sky suites are like a nice living room with three rows of seats looking out on the field. They have two TV in the suite for replays. They furnish sandwiches, pizza, popcorn and other snack. The refrigerator is also filled with soft drinks and adult beverages. Along with access to the sky suite comes access to the stadium club under the new south side of Autzen Stadium ( again thanks mainly to the generosity of Phil Knight of Nike) which is very nice with plush carpets and free popcorn and more adult beverages. The club is very large with many TV monitors with college football games from around the country. There are two airport type lounge bars one at each end of the club.They even have a fancy gift shop with "high end" duck stuff. There are large two story high windows overlooking the woods along the Willamette River. Normally I would have to donate a lot of money to have access to the club. It's something fun to do once a year. The rest of the time I spend it out in the elements with the "true" fans. Unfortunates my wife will not be with me this year as she is going to Portland, Oregon for a Neil Diamond concert at the Portland Rose Garden Saturday night. The Rose Garden is where the Portland Trailblazers play. She has been a Neil Diamond fan since I met her over 30 years ago. She got these tickets long before I was invited to the sky suites. She will pick up my son in Salem and will go with him and my sister who lives in Portland. Shaun Harris , a friend of mine will go to the game with me. Hope it is a good game.... will file a game report when I get back.Go Ducks!
GAME UPDATE: I am back from Eugene and the Ducks are now 3 an 0. The Ducks beat number 23 Fresno State before a sell out crowd of 58,201 at Autzen Stadium in Eugene Oregon.
The Bulldogs scored the first 17 points in the first half but then Oregon came back with a no huddle offense and in the 2nd quarter took a 20 to 17 point lead at half time. The Bulldogs tied it with a field goal to open the second half. Oregon then took a ten point lead but had to survive an on side kick by Fresno State to hold on to a 3 paint victory. Kellen Clemens passed for 332 yards for the Ducks. A very good college football game. A fun night in Eugene! Next game Number 1 ranked U$C at Oregon. GoDucks!