Monday, September 19, 2005

College Memories

In my trip to Eugene for the Fresno State game with the Oregon Ducks( see post below) I arrived early and was unable to check into my motel room early so I walked across the street and around the campus and re lived my college days. I don't know why but when I go back to campus there is always a flood of memories of when I was a college student over 30 years ago. I was at the University of Oregon from 1967 to 1974 with a detour to the US Army for 2 year. I can walk by a building, tree or bench and can remember a day or event like it was last week. I remember my first week on campus back in 1967. I had spent my first two years of college at a community college (SWOCC) and I was really ready for a real college experience. I was so happy to be away from home and I was so alive. There is a lot of new construction on campus. As much as that is good, there is a part of me that wants the campus to remain as it was in 1967 when I first arrived. They have added a new entrance to Hayward Field (Track Field) that is much like a "hall of Fame" Very well done! There is a large picture of Steve Prefontaine, the great Oregon runner, who I knew from Coos Bay . I will be going back up there next week for the U$C game. I like to stay at Motels on Franklin Blvd so I can walk across the street to the campus. I even went by my old apartments where I lived my Senior year and the apartment I lived in the three years I was in Law School. Back to work.