Friday, September 09, 2005

Game 2: Oregon vs Montana: Win 47 to 24

Tomorrow, Saturday September 10th, the Oregon Ducks will play their first home game against the Montana Grizzles at Autzen Stadium. I will make the three hour drive from Medford to Eugene for the game. ( 3 hr up and 3 hr back) My son, a student at Willamette University in Salem, Oregon will make the 1 hr trip down from Salem to meet me there for the game. Even though my son wanted to and goes to a small liberal arts college he was raised a Duck and we enjoy the time together at the games I have had two season tickets for the last 15 years. When my children were younger they would take turns going with me to the games . Neither went to Oregon for college but both are Duck fans. My son when he was 6 years old flew with me to Shreveport Louisiana for the Independence Bowl in 1989. It was a real bonding experience. It was a very cold night in Shreveport and I was worried my son would get frost bite and my wife would kill me. In the end Oregon came from behind and won making us warm inside. At the time, it was Oregon's first bowl game since 1963. It had been a long dry spell with many losing seasons.The entire family went to the Rose Bowl in 1995 ( 1994 season) and the Los Vegas Bowl in 1997. My son and I drove for two solid days to Tempe Arizona for the Fiesta Bowl win over Colorado in 2002 (2001 season). My daughter who is now working and living in Washington DC is flying out later this fall to go with me to the Oregon/Washington game. A few years ago she met me in Tempe Arizona for a game against Arizona State. There is a bar in Arlington Virginia (across the river from Washington DC) where Oregon fans congregate in the DC area to watch on TV Oregon Duck games. When my son was in Washington DC last fall doing a "Washington Semester" at American University my two"Kids" would get together there to watch the Ducks. Someday we will all go back to the Rose Bowl! In the meantime my wife and I are going to the South Medford high school game tonight against West Lynn here in Medford. Go Panthers! Go Ducks!
POST GAME UPDATE
Click on headline above for AP report on game. Ducks are now 2 and 0 , next up Fresno State in Eugene next Saturday , Go Ducks!