Monday, September 21, 2009

Braveheart on Blu-Ray DVD


This weekend I was able to watch one of my favorite movies, Braveheart with Mel Gibson, on Blu-ray DVD. Braveheart was one of the first movies I bought when I first got a DVD player and it looks great on Blu-ray. The battle scenes really pop out in high definition. You forget what a really fine movie this is. I must admit that the movie is full of testosterone.There is a reason football coaches like to show the movie to their team before big games.

One of my favorite quotes from the movie are when William Wallace is getting his men ready for the battle of Sterling:

William Wallace:I *am* William Wallace! And I see a whole army of my countrymen, here in defiance of tyranny. You've come to fight as free men... and free men you are. What will you do with that freedom? Will you fight?

Veteran: Fight? Against that? No! We will run. And we will live.

William Wallace: Aye, fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!
[Scottish army cheers]


However, yesterday while watching the movie I found out that William Wallace was a "tea party" demonstrator when he tells the Scottish Parliament nobles:



William Wallace:There's a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it.


Liberals would call him a "teabag er"

I bought the movie at Wall-Mart and the studio has a great promotion going on. If you already own the movie on regular DVD they will send you a $10.00 mail in rebate if you send them in the proof of purchase ( on the back of the DVD) for both the regular and blu-ray movies. I know there are a lot of people like me who have the regular DVD and are hesitant to buy it again in blu-ray and this gives them an added incentive over and above the great picture. They are also doing it for "Gladiator" and will do it for "It's a Wonderful Life" when it is released in blu-ray.