Sunday, November 09, 2008

Lucky Day for the Ducks! UPDATED


"IT NEVER RAINS AT AUTZEN STADIUM"
Click on the title for a link to a story in The Sporting News about some fellas who are on a college football road trip to college stadiums this fall. Last Saturday they were in Eugene for the Ducks game and it's fun to see ourselves through the eyes of others. then read below about my "road trip" to Eugene for the Stanford game.The picture above was taken at the ONE time during the game it was not raining.



I am back in Medford after a wet trip to Eugene to see my Oregon Ducks almost give away a game to the Stanford Cardinal in football. The Ducks won 35-27 with a touchdown with 6 seconds to play.For most of the game there was a constant downpour of rain with one break of brilliant sunshine(see rainbow picture above). I have been going to Oregon games since the 1960's and this has to rank as one wettest games I have attended. At the beginning of the 4th quarter as the rain fell I thought: "I am getting too old for this sh**" followed by a thought "This is fun." My rain gear held up till the fourth quarter when my Nike pants started leaking and I could feel water running down my leg. On the field the Ducks lost 4 fumbles,had 20 minutes of possession of the ball to Stanford's 39.13 minutes, gave up a safety and let Standford score a touchdown on a fake field goal. As Stanford was lining up for the field goal I yelled "watch for the fake!" I guess they didn't hear me! With 2:18 to go in the game Stanford went up by a point and I thought it was all over! Oregon's QB Jeremiah Masoli then led the Ducks down the field on a 11 play, 74 yard drive that edded with running back LeGarette Blount scoring a touchdown with 6 seconds to go in the game. Suddenly the rain didn't seem so bad!

I hate to say it; but, if the Ducks play like they have in the last two games they will lose to Arizona next week and to Oregon State in the Civil War. Time for them to get better and stop making careless mistakes! Go Ducks beat the Arizona Wildcats!

After the game I checked into a motel in Cottage Grove because I hate to drive in the dark and rain on the mountain passes between Eugene and Medford. At the Motel I watched the U$C vs Cal game on TV. My wife has a "cold" so she didn't go to the game and I got to listened to my Time/Life "The Folk Years" Cd's on the way up to Eugene and pre electric Bob Dylan on the way home..... as loud as I wanted!