Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Gabby the Cat


Last week we were at a party and someone said "Freedom is the kids moving out and the dog dying" Well if that is the case, then my wife and I are "free." Our youngest child is graduating from college in a few days and our dog died two years ago. However, we still have Gabby the cat. Gabby is a Seal Point Siamese female who adopted us about 7 or 8 years ago. She was a stray who was hanging around the outside of our house. I tried to pet her and she would not let me. After a few weeks I got down on my "all fours" and was able to get near her to pet her. She was so thin when I touched her I immediately got some old dry cat food out of our garage to feed her. She was then ours for life. It had been several years since we had a cat and our dog hated cats. Therefore she lived in the garage and later in our family room in our half basement. It was always a pain keeping the cat and dog apart. Once we had to rescue her from the jaws of our terrier. However about two years ago the dog died and Gabby now has the run of the house. Gabby got her name from "Gabby Hayes" the old western character actor. She loves to "talk". We don't have a dog but Gabby is almost like a dog. She follows me around the house all the time. She greets me when I get home from work. She lays on the back of the sofa as I watch football games or movies on my Big Screen TV. She even watches me get ready for work every morning. She loves to sit in my lap as I cruise the internet. She sleeps between my wife and I at night in our bed. She is a very loving cat who has lots of personality. She has helped fill the void of not having the kids at home and not having a dog. She is afraid of dogs so we will probable not get a dog until she passes on. Thanks Gabby for adopting us.