Thursday, June 23, 2011

In Afghanistan Obama is "Placing politics over principle"


Tim Pawlenty:

"Placing politics over principle, President Obama's speech tonight is a continuation of his weak and ineffective foreign policy. I opposed President Obama's decision in 2009 to announce a timeline for withdrawing troops from Afghanistan and I oppose it again now. By overruling the best judgment of our military commanders in the field, the President has chosen to increase the chances that our mission may fall short of our goals. I am alarmed to see America’s national security interests taking a back seat to partisan politics. As President, I would draw down troops in Afghanistan as circumstances on the ground warrant, and I would respect the advice of our military commanders in the field. We are in Afghanistan to ensure that Afghanistan does not again become a terrorist sanctuary, and the greatest duty of a commander in chief is to provide for the safety and security of the American people."

Bill Kristal:

"it is really remarkable when our troop deployment schedule is being determined by David Axelrod, not by David Petraeus."


Admiral Michael Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

“I would prefer not to discuss the specifics of the private advice I rendered with respect to these decisions. As I said, I support them. What I can tell you is, the President’s decisions are more aggressive and incur more risk than I was originally prepared to accept.”


Jim Wickre:

Give a Liberal a choice between standing firm and cutting and running when things get tough and they will run every time.

National Review:

President Obama flinched. Last night, he announced his decision to begin rapidly unwinding his Afghan surge. Of the 30,000 additional troops committed, Obama wants 10,000 out by the end of this year and the rest out by the end of next summer. This risks giving back to the Taliban all that’s been won over the last year with blood, sweat, and tears.