Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Welcome Home Dear


For the last 10 days I have been a bachelor. A few months ago our generous daughter invited her mother to go to with her to Hawaii. She made all the flight arraignments and rented a nice beach front room on the island of Kauai. (See picture above taken from their lanai.) I wasn't jealous until I learned they had rented a red Mustang convertible for their stay on Kauai ! Our daughter lives in Washington DC and so my wife met her in San Francisco about 10 days ago. Before their flight to Hawaii they stayed at the historic Palace Hotel on Market street in San Francisco and did some sightseeing. Last night they got back to San Francisco and I talked with my wife on the phone. She had a good time and I will be picking her up at the Medford/Jackson County "International" Airport this afternoon. Before they left I told our daughter she "owed" her mother a trip to Hawaii! The last time my wife and I went to Hawaii my wife was pregnant with our daughter and did not feel well for part of the trip.:)No, our daughter is a very generous and thoughtful person and and I can't thank her enough for giving her mother this wonderful trip. With her career taking her to Washington D.C. we don't get to see her as much as we like and it was wonderful they could have this mother/daughter time together.

Before my wife left, in preparation for the trip, we watched John Wayne's "Donovan's Reef" filmed on Kauai. (The last move John Wayne and John Ford made together.) We also rented Elvis Presley's "Blue Hawaii" also filmed on the island. ( A terrible movie). I couldn't convince my wife to re watch "South Pacific" filmed on Kauai. As she said "you like it much more than I."

In 2004 our daughter took me to the Republican Convention in New York City. I had never been to a National Republican Convention and she knew how much it meant to me.

We are lucky parents.

While my wife has been gone I have not suffered. A friend and I have been to several movies and had a couple of meals out. I have also used the time to make several trips to Donut Country. The temperature in our home has also been much cooler.. I like it to be about 65 degrees when I get home from work when it is 103 outside and my practical wife likes to keep it about 75 degrees. I turned it up when I left for work this morning.

Welcome home Dear.