Saturday, April 28, 2007

University of Oregon's Spring Football Game


Just got back to Medford from the Spring Game. My wife and I left for the game at 9:30 am this morning and got back home at 8:30 pm It was a nice drive to Eugene and we had a nice dinner in Roseberg at the Elmer's Windmill Inn. I don't claim to be an expert in evaluating football talent but other than a few running plays I didn't see much that gave me a lot of hope next year in view of the Las Vegas Bowl fiasco. I sure hope I am wrong. It was a nice day and I had a good time at Autzen.It was fun listening to Zummer do football commentary with Jerry and Jorgie on the radio.

What I am excited about is the model of the proposed new basketball arena. I went by the Cas Center and saw it on the 2nd floor. The pictures in the newspaper and on the Internet do not do it justice. The seats are very steep in the arena. The arena as proposed will be right in back of the Hamilton Dormitory complex. The entrance will be approximately were the Williams Bakery discount store used to be located. The Arena will have Franklin Blvd on the front, Hamilton complex on the right, with the Bean complex in back and Hyrons to the left as you look at it from Franklin. Of course the layout could change. Pat Kilkenny paid over a million dollars for the plans and this model. Former AD Bill Moos apparently showed this to the big donors but kept it under wraps for the rest of us. My guess he was afraid to show it to anyone else until he had Knight on board as he didn't want to raise expectations . New AD Pat Kilkenny must be more confident he can get it done.

I remember back in 1966 seeing the model for Autzen at the Lane County Fair the year before Autzen stadium was built.

Haven't been to the Cas Center for a few years and it was nice to see the changes. Also went to the "Duck Shop" at the Mo Center and bought a new Oregon Duck tie for work on the days we have our Duck lunches for the Oregon Club of Southern Oregon.

All in all a Good Day!

Now I have to wait four months till Oregon's first football game in Eugene against Houston on September 1, 2007. Go Ducks!